I’m sure you’ve heard people harp on before about how different, and better, homemade stock tastes compared to store bought packets. Well, it’s true, but especially when it comes to using stock for Asian soups. Fortunately it’s easy to make an Asian chicken stock, you don’t even have to worry about browning your meat! At this time of year chicken soup is the perfect remedy for colds and wintery illnesses, so why not try brewing up a pot of stock that you can use for noodle soups or to pop in the freezer for when a Pho craving hits?
I’ve created a new series of mini masterclass videos as the new guest contributor to the Coles Masterchef hub! This short video will show you how easy it is to make your own Asian Chicken Stock at home. Make sure to check out the website for my complete range of cooking tips videos as well as a whole heap of new recipes. Enjoy x
Asian Chicken Stock: Perfect to use as a base in wonton noodle soup or my take on Vietnamese pho
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 60 – 120 minutes
What You’ll Need….
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 finely diced onion
5 cloves diced garlic
1 tablespoon diced ginger
3 litres water
6 star anise
3 cinnamon sticks, snapped in half
1kg chicken wings
- Place a large saucepan or stock pot over medium – high heat, add vegetable oil, once oil is hot add onion and cook for around 3 – 5 minutes until onions are translucent. It’s OK if the onions get a bit of colour on them but don’t burn them as this will spoil the flavour of your stock.
- Add garlic and ginger cook for a further few minutes.
- Add water, star anise and cinnamon and bring to the boil. Once water is boiling add chicken and bring water back to the boil for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer, place lid on pot and cook for at least another hour, but for the fullest flavour possible cook for up to two hours.
- Remove any impurities that come to the surface by skimming them off the top of the stock.
- Strain stock reserving the liquid. Season with a little salt or fish sauce. Freeze or use in soup or stir-fry.